Pack along this camping recipe for homemade granola trail mix and stay energized while out hiking, kayaking, and exploring on your camping trips in your new or used RV. This homemade trail mix is fast and easy to prepare, and you can easily substitute other ingredients. You may find that you love it so much you’ll want to keep it on hand all year long even when you’re not camping!
Homemade Granola Trail Mix
- 1 cup honey
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbs vanilla
- 2 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 8 cups oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups instant milk powder
- Add-ins – your choice: up to 1 cup each of additional ingredients like dried cranberries, chia seeds, flax seeds, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins, chopped dried apricots, etc.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In a large roasting pan, combine water, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon. Place pan in oven while it preheats.
- Combine the oats, flour dry milk, and any other seeds, nuts, or dried fruit (if using) in a large bowl.
- When the coconut oil is melted, remove pan from oven. Pour dry mixture directly into roasting pan, tossing gently to mix all ingredients. Mixture will be clumpy. Break up larger clumps (you want some small ones).
- Return pan full of granola to the oven and bake for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Store in food storage bags at room temperature.
This homemade granola trail mix is great as an on the go camping snack or for breakfast with some yogurt and fruit! Make it at home before your camping trip or on the road – it’s a delicious camping recipe you’ll reach for again and again and that your whole family will love! Need some RV service or shopping before you hit the road? We can help. Contact us today!